Sunday, February 18, 2024

Me and Your Mama - Musical Analysis #1

First of all, don't let the length of the song deter you. You will have it on repeat after. 

 Me and Your Mama is sung by Childish Gambino, which is the stage name of Donald Glover. Written by Donald Glover, Ludwig Göransson, Zac Rae and Bernie Gundman in the United States.  It was released on his album "Awaken, My Love!" in November of 2016 worldwide. This song falls under the genre of psychedelic soul. 

When listening to this song you cannot help but move your body and throw your arms up in the air. The passion in the Glover's voice and lyrics is powerfully matched with the instruments. I have always been a fan of Donald Glover, as a performer, actor, and writer. Each of his albums are different from one another but all are a delight to listen to. I encourage you to listen to many of his other works as well. This song makes me remember how strong the emotion of love is for another person. I think of my husband and I, how long we have been together and just like in the songs lyrics, through challenges and struggles. At the end of the day there is no one else I would rather be with. I also hear this song and vision a beautiful play that could go with it, although there is not even a music video. As of yesterday February 7th, Glover married his long time partner and commented to People Magazine "I don't think life is real unless some things are just for you." I feel that is the bitter-sweet part of not having a video to accompany this song but also makes me love how grand of a gesture this was for his now wife 8 years later, and you can really hear it in this piece of work. 



Lyrics
    During the intro the singers are repeating "I'm in love when we are smokin' that la-la-la-la-la." This is repeated before Childish Gambino comes on. In the beginning you hear it very smooth, easily know what they are talking about. Maybe it's just another party song but it has a different feel to it. Once Gambino starts with "Do what you want" and there is ominous laughing in the background, the song has a new feel. He continues with "I'm telling you, Let me into your heart." He goes on to sing "Can't stand it, backhanded. They wanna see us fallin apart." You start to feel that this song has passion and real deep feelings behind it. This couple is going through hard times but he is saying to her that he is here for it all no matter what. 

Melody 
    In the intro the song has a very simple repeated melody with range from C3 down to F6 and back up with E5 before dropping low again to C3 and then holding one long note at D4. This creates a smooth start to this song before adding some different notes at minute 1:38, then at minute 2:00 it hits you with a change up. As stated on Hooktheory "Me and Your Mama has higher complexity than the average song in terms of Chord-Melody Tension and Chord-Bass Melody." I love how the song keeps you guessing on what is to come. The change up in the melody makes this song so unpredictable but addictive

Tempo
   The overall tempo of the 6 minute 19 second song is 118 BPM.  Per SongBPM "The track runs ... long with a F key and a major mode. It has average energy and is somewhat danceable with a time signature of 3 beats per bar." I might not dance necessarily to this song but I do throw my hands up and down while I sing. The faster tempo still makes it hard not for you to move your body in some way. I love that its out of the norm for my generation of music artists. 


Sources

“BPM and Key for Me and Your Mama by Childish Gambino: Tempo for Me and Your Mama.” SongBPM, songbpm.com/@childish-gambino/me-and-your-mama. Accessed 16 Feb. 2024.

“Me and Your Mama by Childish Gambino Chords and Melody.” Hooktheory, www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/childish-gambino/me-and-your-mama. Accessed 16 Feb. 2024.

“Me and Your Mama.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 8 Jan. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_and_Your_MamaAccessed 16 Feb. 2024.

Moore, Marcus J. “Songs We Love: Childish Gambino, ‘Me and Your Mama.’” NPR, NPR, 14 Nov. 2016, www.npr.org/2016/11/14/501996325/songs-we-love-childish-gambino-me-and-your-mamaAccessed 18 Feb. 2024.

Quihuiz, Ariana. “Who Is Donald Glover’s Wife? All about Michelle White.” Peoplemag, PEOPLE, 8 Feb. 2024, people.com/who-is-michelle-white-donald-glover-7557082Accessed 15 Feb. 2024.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this song! I know of Childish Gambino but honestly haven't listened to much of his works and this was fantastic. I really liked the transition around the two minute mark, it with an entire shift in instrumentals and vocal pitch. I feel like this demanded attention to Gambino's lyrics, really cementing it's meaning. Then the transition back around the 4:20 min mark and long outro almost feels like it's a purposeful resting point before ending. I definitely will be revesting this song on my own time!

    ReplyDelete

Music & the Fictive Dream

  Remember Me ( spoilers, but if you haven't seen it by now I am shocked) The song Remember Me is sung in the 2017 Disney Pixar movie ...